Tim Harland jokes and says he has his “affiliation for falling off motorcycles” to thank for his commissioning as Hospital Chaplain... read more
Sunday Services (In the Interim Cathedral, The Peace Hall, 40 Vivian Street)
Every Sunday we have two services, offering fellowship, music and the opening up of the Scripture. Check out our Facebook page for photos and information about what happens on a Sunday, and during the week.
- 8am service of Holy Communion is quiet and concise with two hymns. Some people like to slip in to this service and quietly leave at the end.
- 10am service is also a Holy Communion service that attracts a cross-generational mix of people. Toys, drawing and games are available for toddlers at the back of the church. The 10am service is often geared to topical stories within the community or the church season. For example, our Pet Blessing service; Remembrance services; our All Saints dress-up service, "Music Sunday" or a service celebrating or lamenting something happening within Taranaki. Morning tea with home baking is provided after the service
- Our Faith Crew is for children and young people and coincides with the 10am service. It is generally held next door in the Peace Lounge or across the road in the Hatherly Hall but sometimes the leaders and parents meet offsite to connect with God in special places around town. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- ALT_Mary is a community of people committed to following Jesus amid the beauty and brokenness of life.It is a space for honest and open conversation. A place where we seek to encounter God through shared food, discussion, music, liturgy, and eucharist. ALT_Mary is a place where all are welcome and affirmed, regardless of gender, ethnicity or sexualityALT_Mary gatherings take place in The Hatherly Hall during the year, often at speacial times such as Lent or Advent. To check if any services are planned follow us on facebook @altmarychurch
Midweek Services (In the Upper Hatherly Chapel)
- Bishop's Eucharist - every Tuesday at 7am.
Conducted by the Bishop or a diocesan minister.
- Book of Common Prayer Communion - every Wednesday at 10am.
A service using the more traditional language of the Book of Common Prayer.
Midweek services take place in "The Upper Room", upstairs in the Hatherly Hall (access is from the rear of the building).
During school terms the cathedral choir (15 singers) leads the worship at the 10.00am service on Sundays, accompanied (during our temporary closure) by our Johannus Sweelinck digital pipe organ or our Bruce Thompson chamber organ. The choir also supports the many liturgies offered by the cathedral during the Advent and Christmas seasons along with Holy Week.
Since April 2012, the director of music offers a lunchtime organ recital on the third Thursday of each month (Feb-Nov) beginning at 12.15pm - admission by gold coin donation supporting the cathedral’s music ministry