Strategy collectives video for Jay read more
John 19: 28
No courageous witness to truth, whether within,
or outside, a consciously expressed Christian faith,
can be far from the Cross of Crist-
yet neither could it exist,
the Christian would affirm,
but for a God whose forgiving love is Christ
Even Jesus thirsted!
hanging on the cross,
someone willing to moisten
His parched lips.
To us Jesus
and water of life,
for the life eternal.
Yet He knew
the pressing needs
of the human body;
He hungered in the wilderness;
He thirsted on the cross.
And still He thirsts.
Where men and women
where children die for lack
of clean water,
the cry from the cross is again heard:
‘I am thirsty’.
Do not allow us to forget, Lord,
that in the needs
of the hungry
and the thirsty
it is you who are asking
for our aid.
Save us, we pray,
from failing you,
by failing them.
- Has anyone asked you for a glass of water? Have you given it?
- We are born alone and we die alone. When have you felt most alone? Have human relationships helped? Has your relationship with God helped?
- What can I do when God feels a thousand miles away?
- How do we know God cares?
- Some cannot always find the answers they desire. Is it because they don’t have enough faith?
I am thirsty
You have made us for yourself.
We know it, even if we cannot name it.
We have had these bodies and these minds long enough
to learn to live with our limitations.
Yet despite this,
Something in us hankers, yearns, thirsts for something better,
Something greater which we know is there.
Beautiful music ends and we wish it could continue.
We embrace, then refrain from embracing
And wish that we could be held for ever.
We think deeply or feel deeply
And wish that this sense of being caught up in living
Would not be interrupted
By the mundane things in life.
We sense the disappointment in dashed hopes
That deserve to be fulfilled,
In missed opportunities
Which should have led to joy not frustration,
In people whose potential
Has been buried or denied and deserves to flourish.
So much of life demands a resolution.
So thank you for this incompleteness,
Thank you for this yearning,
Thank you for this thirst.
Thank you for giving us enough of you to want more,
And so to sense the fullness of eternity within the limits of time. Amen
To think about:
- Faith is seeing the God we try to love in the people we don’t
- Faith is about knowing and accepting the reality in which God has placed us, and that reality is always, what is best for us.
- Jesus wasn’t a Bible scholar, or a physicist, or a professor of law, He was our Savior.
- The need to be right- the sign of a vulgar mind. JP Sartre
- We are worth what we are willing to share with others. Moses Montefiore