Although light rain falls, the aroha and warmth of Archdeacon Tiki Raumati shines through as people of all races and... read more
Following the reception of a Detailed Seismic Assessment (DSA) which rated the strength of the building at only 15% of current building code, the trustees of St Mary's Anglican Church in Hawera have declared the building closed immediately (as of Saturday 17 February).
The foundation stone for this church was laid on the 8th of September 1902 by Bishop Wallis.
The church was opened with a series of services on the 1st of July 1903. Evensong featured a sermon by Archdeacon Cole with five hundred in attendance and many turned away.
It is located on the site of the original (1881) wooden St Mary's Church and was designed by local architects Messrs. Warren and Stephenson.
The completion of DSAs for St Andrews, Inglewood and St Cuthberts in Manaia are also expected in the near future.
Our thoughts and prayers are with the parishioners of St Mary's as they face a future without their church.