Stones and Mortar
History of the Cathedral

It began as a vision 168 years ago. New Plymouth’s early Anglican community hoped to install their own Bishop within a Diocese of Taranaki. But war, and the passing of time got in the way. Now the vision has come full circle – with a twist. The structure operates like a catamaran boat: Two Bishops, two diocese, and two regions working together. In October 1842 Bishop Selwyn established an Anglican presence in Taranaki, obtaining a Crown grant for the land on... read more

Page 2